Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Remaining ME: How easy it sounds!

When I saw DDLJ for the very first time, I loved it. Each and every song in it became a reason for me to celebrate. While watching it for the second time, my brother introduced me to the concept of lip singing. He told me that Shah Rukh and Kajol were not actually singing those songs. They were pre recorded and the two of them were conveniently pretending.

I thought he was lying. It was one of his usual tricks to confuse me maybe.

And when I was told that the earth is round, I simply laughed it off. “If the earth is round, then why don’t we ever fall?” was my logic.

These instances seem funny now. But they were subjects of serious discussions for me earlier. These facts challenged my logic and my truth. They now form an integral part of my logic and my truth.

As we keep learning, we keep changing. Still remaining who we were.

Each day I look at myself in the mirror. Who doesn’t in this self obsessed society? And I am what I was yesterday. So how come I am not what I was a year ago?

Changes change us even before we come to know. So are we lost in ourselves and yet losing ourselves? Well the answer is -yes- in my case. I think about me all the time but there are several things which even a stranger would see changing in me, but I wouldn’t.

Ultimately, I discover that “remaining me” is not as easy as it sounds and perhaps not even a good thing. We should always change for the good. But it will always be difficult for me to tell myself,

“I AM NOT WHAT I WAS”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ashima ...nthin on earth cn b a more beautiful gift fr me other than ritin n wen i first heard bout ur blog i was thrilled i love ur stlye of ritin since the time i used to read ur poems in skul the one bout ur encounter of an accident of a lady was ma fav.it was simpple bt intense ....regards anoma.

ashima madan said...

I agree.....Writing is surely a pleasure....thanks...i will put that poem up sometime....but it's kind of juvenile now so i didn't put it up.
So you writing a blog?